Brillantmont International School is seeking to appoint for the 2022-2023 academic year
Part-time Teacher of PSHE
Living away from home is not always easy, especially in the teenage years. It’s a time of change and question. The PSHE classes are key to helping the students find the answers to their questions, so they make the appropriate choices in life.
We want our students to feel strong and grounded on their journey to becoming well-balanced, responsible young adults, who can live with others and who are global citizens.
All the boarding accommodation is on the Brillantmont campus, on the upper floors of five buildings. The buildings are secure, accessible by door-codes and the boarding rooms are spacious, warm and welcoming. Boys and girls live in separate houses, organised by age. A member of the boarding team lives in the boarding house, looking after the students and helping make their boarding experience happy and successful. Students share a room with a student from another nationality, encouraging intercultural learning and understanding.
We expect our boarding staff to always have the students’ physical, mental and emotional well-being at the heart of all they do. Our caring, supportive boarding environment safeguards the students and allows them to develop and grow with confidence.
Part-time PSHE Teacher (with or without boarding duties)
The post holder will be expected to:
- Promote and drive wellbeing in the Brillantmont community in line with the school’s Guiding Statements.
- Deliver a dynamic Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE) curriculum.
- Be a visible and dynamic presence around the school.
- Identify the key areas to be covered within the PSHE programme, including topics such as social skills, study skills, sex, drugs, alcohol, health, bullying, digital awareness, life skills, global citizenship.
- Define and document a PSHE curriculum covering the appropriate topics to all students (Grades 8-12) with age and context appropriate material.
- Effectively deliver the PSHE curriculum and ensure that student progress is measured and recorded.
- Store PSHE materials on the BM Teachernet; suggest resources and advise on library purchases and subscriptions
- Liaise with the Coordinators, the Head of Boarding and the School Nurse to ensure vertical and horizontal curriculum alignment and integration of the PSHE curriculum with academics, boarding and health
- Prior to each half-term, propose to the SLT a calendar for potential externally led workshops.
The successful candidate will:
- Be a dynamic individual and a great team player.
- Be able to join the boarding team and take on some boarding duties.
- Be an excellent communicator.
- Have at least three years’ experience in working in a similar role in a boarding or independent school.
- Have a driving license.
- Hold a European or Swiss passport (unfortunately, since Brexit we are unable to hire holders of a British passport who are not already resident in Switzerland).
- Forge a close partnership with the School Nurse and other designated safeguarding officers to keep confidential records archived appropriately and ensure essential information is shared appropriately.
- Provide training related to safeguarding and wellbeing supervision.
- Be committed to the safeguarding and promotion of the welfare of young people and adhere to and ensure compliance with the School’s Safeguarding Policy at all times
Applications are to be submitted exclusively via the form below and should include a CV and a cover letter of one page maximum.
The closing date for applications is extended to Thursday 14th April 2022.
Owned and run by the same family since the school’s foundation in 1882, Brillantmont is a leading Swiss boarding and day school, offering an internationally recognised programme.
Our mission is to provide a supportive family environment which enables our students to discover and develop their passions and talents, building the confidence needed to lead happy, meaningful lives. Our core values focus on Learning, Well-Being, Community and Internationalism; these are the cornerstones which underpin the Brillantmont experience.
Every year, we welcome around 80 boarders and 20 day students from aged 13-18 into Grades 8-12. Global citizenship and intercultural learning lie at the heart of the Brillantmont experience. Over 30 different nationalities are represented and the school applies quotas to ensure a diverse student body. Living amongst so many nationalities enables students to learn about other cultures, speak new languages and develop a global network of contacts.
Brillantmont is in the centre of Lausanne, a beautiful city in French speaking Switzerland. Close to Geneva airport, the majestic Swiss Alps are less than an hour away. The quality of life is exceptional. All students learn French and through the co-curricular programme can discover and enjoy the natural sporting and cultural wealth of Switzerland. As befits the Olympic Capital, there are numerous sports facilities in the region and skiing is integral to Brillantmont life.
The school overlooks Lake Léman and the Alps. It is spacious with excellent, up to date facilities, including an incredible multipurpose hall offering a full-sized gymnasium and a 100m2 stage area. Accommodation is of the highest standard with students sharing a room with someone from another culture, promoting intercultural understanding. Brillantmont has been fully accredited by NEASC and CIS for over 30 years and is committed to accreditation as a tool for improvement.
Brillantmont’s small size ensures that the student remains the focus of all that is offered, both academically, but also in terms of personal development. We nurture collaboration and leadership skills through challenge, building courageous, confident, critical thinkers. We want our students to take ownership of their learning journey. The average class size is 9 students, the maximum class size is 15 students. This creates a stimulating learning environment, reflected in the excellent examination results.
Brillantmont prepares students for US examinations (with SAT) and British examinations (IGCSE, A Level). On completion of their studies, Brillantmont students enter top-ranking universities across the world, with a majority continuing their studies in the UK or Switzerland.
A strong co-curricular programme covering sports, creative, humanitarian and critical thinking activities enables students to develop strengths and talents beyond the classroom. The school takes advantage of its location in the heart of Europe to develop a sense of internationalism through trips to neighbouring countries and through language acquisition.
Outstanding pastoral care, excellent facilities and spacious accommodation help create a home from home in which students feel part of the Brillantmont family, no matter how far from home they are. Our focus on the individual raises self-esteem, helping our students become effective learners and balanced young people.
Whether students are with us for just one term or a complete year, their Brillantmont experience will be unique and life changing.
Brillantmont staff are committed and dedicated and fully understand what it means to work in a boarding school, where life continues 24/7. Our culturally aware, caring community is based on mutual respect and upholding values. It is an inspiring and enriching place to work, with opportunities for growth and professional development.
There is only one Brillantmont in the world. Do you have what it takes to become part of its 140 year old story?
Apply via the form above, we look forward to hearing from you.